Saturday, 5 January 2013

Cheap Prvi Partizan (PPU) ammunition

I recently received an email from a popular sports & outdoor chain here in Norway advertising cheap ammunition from a company called Prvi Partizan (PPU). They make a large range of ammunition for both sports shooting and hunting so I decided to go ahead and buy some of their Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) for my 6.5x55 and 30-06 and have a try.

On first inspection the ammunition looks very well put together and the Over All Length (OAL) of each round of ammunition was extremely close, the brass has a bit of a grainy look to it when compared to Norma or Lapua, but I have no idea if this is due to the type of brass used or perhaps just less polishing, either way that's not really important here as I'm more interested in their accuracy rather than how pretty they are.

Here's a couple of pictures of the boxed ammunition and their details

30-06 - 150 grain / 9.7 gram FMJ



6.5x55 - 139 grain / 9 gram FMJ BT

 

One big noticeable difference between the two calibers is the profile of the FMJ bullet, if you look at the point you will see that the 30-06 has quite a pointy/sharp tip, whereas the 6.5x55 has a more rounded/blunt tip more common with a soft-point hunting bullet. I also noticed that the 6.5x55 FMJ is stated on the box as being BT (boat-tail) whereas I presume the 30-06 is a regular flat based bullet, to be honest at the ranges I will be shooting (under 300 meters) this will play no role.

30-06 & 6.5x55
You cab visit the Prvi Partizan website by clicking here.

I hope to be going out soon to do some test shooting so I will report back on my blog regarding the results of their accuracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dont be shy, leave a comment! :-)