Monday, 3 December 2012

First Contour ROAM camera action!

I decided to brave the -10 temperature on Saturday and headed out with a couple of friends to hunt roe deer with a dog and try out my new Contour ROAM action camera. In Norway we use small dogs with short legs so as not to stress the animals as they can't run very fast and simply bumble along a few hundred meters behind them barking. We started the hunt in one area but after a short search in the area the dog moved off into a completely different part of our terrain, so we gathered up our gear and re-located.

As I crept into my new post I could hear the dog barking just a couple of hundred meters away so I was extra quiet approaching the post so as not to scare any animals in the area. As soon as my head cleared the rise I saw a roe deer standing under the electric cables silhouetted nicely against the snow, on with my Contour ROAM camera and up with the scope, I couldn't make out if it was a kid or a doe, so I crept in closer to be sure as we have an agreement not to shoot the does. At about 75 meters I could see that this was a button buck, so I got my combination rifle/shotgun ready and put the cross hairs tight behind the front legs and took the shot. The 7x57R rifle rang out and I heard the pop as the bullet hit home, the roe deer shuddered to the shot, turned and walked away, I was confident that this was a good shot, so I gave it five minutes before making my way over. When I arrived at the shot site, I could see a good amount of blood on the snow and was happy that the shot was good, I then turned to my right and there I found the roe deer just 3-4 meters from where it was shot lying by a small pine tree. I gralloched the kid and upon inspection could see that the bullet had gone straight through the heart.

The buck kid had been separated from the doe and was looking back over its shoulder towards the barking dog which was chasing after the doe, if you listen carefully in the video you can hear the dog in the background.

Emil, a wire-haired dachshund at the kill

My Sabatti Forest 7x57R / 12-76 with camera attached


And now the moment you have been waiting for, the action caught on film, on my new Contour ROAM action camera.

It's still early days with the Contour ROAM but I have to say, so far I'm really impressed!

For this hunt I used my Sabatti combination rifle/ shotgun in 7x57R/ 12 guage and home reloaded 140 grain Sierra ProHunter with a velocity of 790m/s.

A perfect finish to a perfect morning with friends.

7 comments:

  1. It looks like your seasons are very close to the ones here in Wyoming. what kind of grouse are there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tyler,

      Thanks for posting on my blog! =)

      In the forests of Norway we have the black grouse and the hazel grouse.

      Black Grouse
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_grouse

      Hazel Grouse
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_Grouse

      Up in the hills/mountians we have the willow & rock ptarmigan.

      Willow ptarmigan
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_ptarmigan

      Rock ptarmigan
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_ptarmigan

      I have planned a trip up to Northern Norway, (Finnmark) next September with a friend of mine to hunt ptarmigan over his dog, so I'm really looking forward to this as I've never huntied ptarmigan before.

      Atb. Jonathan

      Delete
  2. Bird hunting is probably my favorite! We have blue and ruff grouse here in the mnts, sharptail and sage grouse on the plains. do you fish much? If so what for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tyler,

      I used to do a lot of flyfishing for brown trout, sea trout, salmon and also spinning in the fjord for mackerel and cod. But these days the fishing has taken a back seat and it's mostly hunting I use my spare time on, however I do plan on getting back into it! =)

      How is the hunting going, you had any luck?

      Atb. Jonathan

      Delete
  3. cool sounds like there's good fishin there! I'm getting ready to transition from hunting to ice fishing.... I've done alright this yr so far two cow elk one small whitetail deer buck and two pronghorn antelope. doe whitetail is open till Dec 31 as is sharptail grouse so I'm goin to get a few more days in! Hungarian patridge is open till Jan 31 so its cool to go ice fishing and bird huntin in the same day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good season to me, congrats!

      Good luck for the rest of the season.

      Atb. Jonathan

      Delete

Dont be shy, leave a comment! :-)