Sunday, 29 April 2012

Big Hairy Beaver!

I went to visit my friend Bernt on the weekend as we were going to put out some salt stones in our hunting terrain for the roe deer and moose to help them after the winter months and also scout the terrain with the dogs to check for any signs of roe deer and moose. On arrival I was greeted by a big beaver just laying on the front garden lawn... a very hill billy start to the morning! lol.

He had been out at 4am and had seen several beavers and managed to shoot a 15kg female with his .243 and a Hornady V-Max, he shot it at 75 meters right behind the shoulder and it dropped on the spot.

Here's some pics of before, during and after the skinning.

The beaver laid out on the front lawn

Front claw
Webbed back claw
Beaver tail with an injury, probably from a fight with another beaver

OK, now for the gory pics of the skinning, so if you are easily offended or have a weak stomach don't scroll down any further!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!








The beaver skin is now being salted prior to sending to the tannery so it can be used in the future as a nice warm fur for sitting on during the winter months. The skull will be boiled, cleaned of any flesh and bleached to make it bright white, I will post up pics of the finished fur and skull in a future post.

2 comments:

  1. I really would like a fur and skull from a beaver too. I hope I will be lucky to catch one sometime. But it is just two weeks left for beaverhunt here now...so maybe next year :)

    Greetings Susanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanne,

      Thank you for reading my blog.

      I still haven't shot a beaver but I've been close a couple of times. I'm going out with a friend next weekend so hopefully I will get my first =)

      Hilsen
      Jonathan

      Delete

Dont be shy, leave a comment! :-)