Saturday, 25 February 2012

A trip to the rifle range

Took a trip to the range with a friend today as the weather was beautiful and I wanted to try out some new home loads. I had tried to visit last week but there was too much fog so we couldn't shoot, but today everything fell into place.

Ready to go! =)
Inside looking out
I have been working up some home loads for my new Sauer 202 Classic XT in 30-06 so I wanted to try them out and make sure there were no high pressure signs. Starting low and working my way up in .5 grain increments the groups were fantastic and continued to be as I progressed higher up the charge, when I got to my hottest load I put three shots almost through one hole, my best group - A great finish to a great morning! =)

Typical group, 2 shots a few mm's apart
Best group, 3 touching shots! =)
I also got the chance to try out my 30-06 with and without my new sound moderator, all I can say is, if you don't have one, you need to get one!!! It makes shooting so much more comfortable, recoil is more than halved and there is now hardly any muzzle flip.

More information on my new sound moderator coming soon!

I took my 6.5x55 varmint rifle to the range also as this is the rifle I use for fox and beaver hunting. After confirming the zero at 100 meters I decided to have a go at the 300 meter gong, I entered all the necessary data into my ballistic app. on my iPhone, calculated the clicks and made the necessary adjustments. I loaded up the rifle with my home loaded 85 grain Sierra Varmint ammunition, took aim and fired the first shot, "DONG" came the reply, a hit dead centre! Things are just getting better and better =)

More information on the iPhone app. coming soon ... watch this space! =)

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi, my 6.5x55 rifle is a Tikka T3 Varmint with a synthetic stock and heavy stainless 60cm barrel.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good! I have my eye on a Tikka T3 Lite...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't go wrong with a Tikka T3, great rifles!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Dont be shy, leave a comment! :-)