Friday, 20 January 2012

Zippo Hand Warmer

Hunting in Norway during the winter time certainly throws up some experiences that I wasn't prepared for when moving from the UK. On several occasions I have found myself hunting at temperatures as low as -15 to -20 degrees celsius, this is not so bad when your moving around and staying active, but when sitting at a post trying to remain still and quiet, the cold slowly starts to creep in. I have considered purchasing hand warmers in the past but most of the ones on the market work on a chemical reaction and you throw them away after use and I was after a more permanent re-usable solution. I had heard and read about these Zippo hand warmers a few years back whilst still residing in the UK, but then the weather was bearable without them, now living in Norway I thought this was the perfect opportunity to give them a go.

The Zippo hand warmer has sleek and compact design which fits easily into a pocket, gloves or trousers, without the bulk of other hand warmers. It is fuelled by normal lighter fuel, the pouring type not the pressurised gas and works on the principle of a catalyst so there is no flame just a smouldering burner which creates the heat. You light the hand warmer using a normal lighter by holding the flame against the catalyst burner for several seconds, the catalyst burner is protected by a metal cover/ lid with holes in and then the whole hand warmer is placed in a small material bag, this  prevents it getting too hot. There is no on/off switch with these hand warmers but you have 2 options, first is to simply let the hand warmer burn out when all the fuel has been consumed, or you can remove the lid and then remove the catalyst burner, this would have to be done with pliers though as it will be extremely hot.

The measuring cup supplied with the hand warmer has measurements indicated on the side to show where the maximum fill level is and also a half fill level. When filled fully the burner is supposed to last for up to 12 hours so half filled being 6 hours, I will give this a test over the coming months to see just how accurate this claim is. The hand warmer is available in two colour options, 'non-reflective' black as shown in the pics below and also 'highly polished' silver/ chrome.

Here are some pics of the Zippo hand warmer and what you get in the box:

The complete hand warmer
Dimensions 10cm x 7cm x 1cm

Hand warmer with lid/ cover removed.

Hand warmer with lid and catalyst burner removed.

Measuring cup for lighter fluid and pouch for hand warmer when in use.
I'll report back in the near future after I've had the chance to try it out properly, winter hunting for beaver in Norway should be the perfect testing ground.

2 comments:

  1. I´m not freezing on my hands. I´m lucky. Always warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you =) I always freeze in my hands & feet.

    ReplyDelete

Dont be shy, leave a comment! :-)